Senior Mechanical Engineer - Operations
Do you want to be on the cutting edge of the clean energy/climate tech industry? Are you excited about the intersection of renewable energy and the circular economy? We are too. And that’s why we launched SOLARCYCLE, Inc, a tech-driven recycling platform designed to maximize solar sustainability. Our process takes end of life solar panels and dismantles them into individual components or materials.
About the role
We are seeking a highly experienced and Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our recycling facility located in Mesa, AZ. As a senior member of the Operations team, you will play a critical role in leading and executing mechanical projects and programs, including the design and development of new equipment, and evolving and improving those new and existing equipment for our solar panel silicon recycling and CdTe panel recycling lines. We are looking for a seasoned professional with a strong track record of successfully designing, building, implementing, and improving mechanical and process equipment in a manufacturing environment.
Role and responsibilities
- Develop new and evolve/improve existing equipment for the Manufacturing lines in Operations
- Plan, design, and execute mechanical projects and programs related to solar panel silicon recycling and CdTe panel recycling.
- Guide and inform the R&D fabrication, assembly, and testing efforts of prototypes and equipment that may eventually come into Manufacturing.
- Help establish technical drawings, specifications, and documentation for new equipment, and continously improve this documentation with lessons learned.
- Lead and drive program efforts to ensure new equipment come into the manufacturing environment meeting specifications with a roadmap of continuous improvement to reach better process capability.
- Provide feedback and lessons learned as guidance to the R&D team for their continued development of cutting edge new tools.
- Drive and own Equipment procurement review processes and reporting to ensure there are specifications that new tools are to follow and be graded against as they ramp into high volume manufacturing.
Mechanical design and development:
- Plan, design, and execute mechanical projects and programs related to solar panel silicon recycling and CdTe panel recycling in a high volume manufacturing environment.
- Guide and give R&D feedback to early tool and prototype development of tools and equipment.
- Establish and drive equipment improvement and process capability roadmaps.
- Actively participate in the acceptance specifications, fabrication, assembly, and testing of manufacturing equipment.
- Collaborate with the R&D team and provide technical expertise throughout the development process.
- Troubleshoot and resolve mechanical issues during the prototype and equipment testing phase.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Prepare documentation required for tools/equipment to operate in a manufacturing environment (Operating Instruction and Standard Operating Procedures, Preventative Maintenance Specifications).
- Maintain accurate records and reporting of programs plans and progress.
Collaboration and Support:
- Work closely within Operations and R&D to ensure alignment with project goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including researchers, engineers, and technicians, to integrate mechanical components into the recycling lines.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the R&D team and assist with problem-solving activities, using manufacturing lessons learned and needed continuous improvements.
This position may have future supervisory duties.
Education, training and professional experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Advanced degrees or relevant certifications are highly desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in mechanical design and development, with a proven track record of delivering successful projects.
- Extensive hands-on experience in designing, and building tools or equipment for a manufacturing and operations environment.
- Proficiency in CAD software for mechanical design, such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD.
- Strong expertise in mechanical engineering principles, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, solve complex problems, and develop innovative solutions.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and collaboration skills, with a track record of effectively leading and mentoring engineering teams.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Familiarity with solar panel silicon recycling and CdTe panel recycling processes is a plus.
Note: This position is based in Mesa, AZ, USA. Relocation to the Phoenix area or a willingness to relocate is required.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that applicants are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you think this role is for you but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right person for this role.
You will be working alongside a highly successful team who deliver amazing innovative work in the solar PV industry! The solar industry needs a global end-of-life partner to restore, renew and ultimately recycle yesterday’s solar panels for tomorrow’s clean energy projects. SOLARCYCLE aims to be the partner of choice for solar asset owners looking for a responsible solution to their end-of-life system needs.
Solar power is one of the most powerful tools humanity has in our fight against climate change. But for solar to truly scale to its full potential, we need to create renewable supply chains and a vibrant secondary market for upcycled panels and recycled materials. SOLARCYCLE was founded by experts and advocates in solar, climate and circular economy. Our investors come from the frontlines of the solar industry, including the founders of SolarCity, SunPower and Nextracker. This is the next frontier - ensuring a cleaner, more sustainable and domestic supply of the critical minerals needed for the next wave of solar. We exist to make clean energy massively scalable and even more sustainable by radically advancing recycling technology and infrastructure for the solar industry. If this resonates with you, we really want to meet you
Equal employment opportunity
SOLARCYCLE is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual's qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.