Location: Boston, MA (Charlestown) or Washington, DC
Mori is focused on innovations in the food, agriculture, and packaging industries. We leverage the unique properties of a natural protein discovered in silk that protects food, creates an edible barrier, and slows down spoilage. Our products can be integrated at any time from farm to shelf, allowing food producers, processors, and retailers to deliver more and better-quality food to consumers. Our mission statement “More Food, Less Waste” embodies our companies’ commitment to improving supply chain inefficiencies and reducing food and packaging waste. We abide by the following values to make our mission possible:
- Think big, start small
- Embrace complexity
- See it through
- Operate with care
- Keep perspective
Mori is seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to join our team as a Sr. Accountant. The Sr. Accountant will be an instrumental player in the operational accounting and reporting activities. This role reports to the Manager, FP&A and Analytics.
- Perform monthly close activities, including preparation of journal entries, reconciliation of various balance sheet and P&L accounts, including cash, investments, AR, intercompany, leases and various month-end R&D accruals.
- Drive, develop, and maintain the Company's narratives and internal control matrix. Work with key processes owners to educate them on internal controls.
- Ensure all accounting policies and procedures are documented and in line with relevant GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate assigned processes and recommend improvements 3to maximize efficiencies and ensure conformity to internal policy and procedure and regulatory requirements.
- Draft and/or review technical accounting memos as they relate to material business and financial transactions.
- Collaborate across the finance team and other operational departments on cross-functional initiatives including partnering with FP&A on budget-to-actual analyses.
- Preparation and assistance with year-end tax and reporting deliverables
- Assist with company equity programs, including preparation of 409a valuation analysis support, option grants and related compliance & filings.
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing biotechnology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
- Active CPA is required.
- Big 4 auditing experience is required.
- Management consulting experience is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience.
- Experience in the biotechnology or manufacturing industry is a plus.
- Experience with NetSuite a plus.
- Strong knowledge of financial principles, accounting standards (GAAP/IFRS), and financial analysis techniques.
- Must have excellent analytical skills, with very strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team setting.
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables.
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment.
- Base salary range from $80,000 - $95,000 based on experience.
Mori provides a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health, vision, and dental plans where Mori pays 50-70% of the premium
- Health Savings Account (HSA) for High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP)
- Unlimited paid-time-off (which includes sick pay) and 11 paid company holidays
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Commuter benefits providing employees the opportunity to use tax-free dollars on commuting costs (as specified by the benefit administrator)
- Free, access to confidential mental health counsellors through a program called Health Advocate. Health Advocate also helps with other things (securing childcare, finding lawyers for wills, etc.), and you have access to the full array of Health Advocate options
- Health Advocate also offers advice on which health insurance option to choose based on your personal circumstances (HIPAA compliant, everything is done between you and them and never comes to a Mori employee). This type of program is often referred to as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Free OneMedical on-demand primary care (24/7 access to physicians, online booking system, membership fee is covered), insurance required for certain services
- Free TelaDoc through Aetna available to employees with an active Mori health plan.
- One year of TalkSpace (fully online mental health therapists) Access based on enrollment in an active Mori provided Health Benefit plan. Monthly limitations apply
- Optional Life and supplemental life insurance through MetLife
Additional location specific benefits include:
- 24/7 access to Hood Park fitness center (Boston benefit)
- Covered and indoor bike parking (Boston benefit)
- Hood Park programming and events (Boston benefit)
Mori is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and all applicable state and local fair employment practices laws. Employment opportunities at Mori are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, caste, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.6