Mechanical Engineer (Level II/Senior)
Found Energy is building clean energy delivery platforms capable of replacing fossil fuels for heavy industries ranging from aluminum production (4% of global CO2 emissions) to fertilizer production (2% of global CO2 emissions) to maritime shipping (3% of global CO2 emissions). Building off technology developed at MIT that enables metallic aluminum to split water, our energy delivery systems safely generate hydrogen and industrial heat on-site at >5x the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen and >3x that of methanol and ammonia. By integrating storage, transport, and generation into a single package, our technology solves some of the biggest pain points in renewable energy transportation and storage.
At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for partners who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more information, visit https://found.energy.
Health, dental, 20 days PTO, 11 holidays, unlimited sick days, 3+ months parental leave, stock options, professional development budget, and more.
Found Energy is looking for a senior mechanical engineer with 5+ years of experience in an industrial setting. This role has both individual contributor, as well as team and project management responsibilities. Applicants should have prior experience designing, fabricating, and integrating complex multi-component systems including a combination of mechatronics, gas/fluid handling, sensing, energy storage, robotics, or similar. They should also have significant prior hands-on project experience in the build stage, including materials selection, machining, additive manufacturing, and assembly. Prior experience managing small teams is strongly preferred.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working to scale up the reactor system for both our minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot demonstrations. The completion of the MVP and commercial pilots requires designing and testing numerous sub-processes and sub-systems at the targeted industrial scale, as well as at various intermediate scales along the way.
This hire will be responsible for leading the mechanical engineering team in design, fabrication, and testing of the various components of our MVP, as well as supporting their integration and system-level validation. Beyond the MVP, this engineer will also engage in technology development in line with the company’s strategic technical roadmap.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Set and achieve mechanical engineering team goals in line with company’s overall R&D goals
- Manage 2-4 mechanical engineers
- Translate user specifications into design requirements
- Design, build, and test subsystems utilizing CAD and machine shop
- Ensure the seamless integration of individual subsystems in the MVP and prototypes
- Interface with external part fabrication when needed (e.g. part drawings, tolerances, etc.)
- Develop and enhance in-house machining capabilities
- Determine machining needs and lead in equipment selection
- Train other employees on new equipment
- Create listed BOM for mechanical as well as electrical systems.
- Create process flow diagrams, models, and simulations of the production systems
- Develop safety systems and protocols for the test and production systems
- Design and build fixtures to support testing of prototypes and R&D lab experiments
- Translate R&D work into production functional requirements and specifications
- Opportunities to travel domestically and internationally
- Participate in building and growing company culture and values
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- 5+ years of work experience in mechanical engineering, systems engineering, or related fields
- Note: Candidates with additional experience will be considered and role designation will be commensurate with experience
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in managing small teams
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Mechanical design, CAD, and/or rapid prototyping practices
- Tolerance stacking of large assemblies and sub assemblies.
- Mechanical fabrication (subtractive/additive manufacturing, welding, etc.)
- Electrical systems design (sensors, microcontrollers, relays, etc.)
- Power conditioning and electronics (boost/buck converters, rectifiers, PCB design, etc.)
- Fluid and/or gas handling systems, including safety and compliance
- Fuel cells and battery systems
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix-based operating systems via command line
- Familiarity with one or more software languages (Python, C++, MATLAB, etc.)
- Thermodynamics theory and modeling software (e.g. EES, REFPROP)
- Experience with 5S or similar methodologies
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.