Robotic Field Engineer
AMP Robotics is a pioneer and industry leader in artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, and infrastructure for the waste and recycling industry. We apply AI-powered automation to economically and sustainably improve our global recycling system.
Headquartered in Louisville, Colorado, the Denver Post and BuiltIn Colorado have recognized AMP as one of the state's top workplaces. AMP also has operations and career opportunities outside of Atlanta and Cleveland, as well as in Europe. We’re fostering an environment where passionate individuals can grow and create impact. We seek unconventional thinkers to join our mission to enable a world without waste; at AMP, your contributions have meaning and can spur change. With backing from top-tier investors and national recognition including North American Cleantech Company of the Year and Forbes’ most promising AI companies, we’re always seeking ways to better our operations, raising the bar on innovation, and looking to collaborate and improve in what we do. Learn more at AMPRobotics.com.
AMP Robotics is hiring a Field Engineer reporting to the Engineering Lab Manager in Louisville, CO on a hybrid schedule. If you're not traveling, we will want this person in our Louisville, CO Headquarters working in the lab.
The role focuses on new product introduction, product improvements, and testing. As a Field Engineer you will install, analyze, and support new products as they are launched. Prior to launch you will work side by side with other engineering groups during the product development process to prepare new products for successful deployment.
Field Engineers function as an integral part of the product development team representing the Design Engineering in the field. They will become the technical lead in the field and at customer’s sites during new product development providing real-world observation, recommendations and engineering based on the actual application of the product. You will support R&D and Sustaining Engineering efforts, increasing interdisciplinary knowledge of product designers, sales teams, program managers, service teams, and production groups with respect to how AMP devices and software actually function in the field. The Field Engineer will be responsible for answering the question “Is the new product operating within defined performance metrics, without interruption…and can we prove it”. The Field Engineer will work closely with internal teams, stakeholders and relationship managers to operate AMP Robotics fleet of devices at peak performance.
As a member of the Engineering Lab team, you will:
Build, install, and monitor new AMP products:
- Full system prototype builds working from assembly drawings, pneumatic and electrical schematics
- Independently operate, monitor, troubleshoot, and improve on site
- Report findings from new product installations to the entire organization
- Provide feedback and recommendations on improvements to the design and operation of the new products
Test and implement improvements to new and existing AMP products:
- Work with other engineering groups to test and report on hardware and software upgrades in AMP’s lab and at the custom locations where AMP Robotics installs Beta prototype systems. These will be done using data acquisition devices and other data gathering tools.
- Introduce those improvements to existing AMP products in the field
- Report findings to the entire organization
- Provide feedback and recommendations on improvements to the design and operation of the improvements
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 3+ years experience with industrial controls & automation and/or process engineering
- 2+ years experience programming with a scripting language like Python (hobby level projects considered).
- 2+ years of experience with Linux system administration
- Good working familiarity with Docker and Docker-Compose
- Working proficiency with 3D modeling, Solidworks or other
- Confidence in working with electro-mechanical systems including motors, pneumatics, valves, sensors, etc
- Experience with semi-automated machining tools, hand tools
- Equally comfortable behind a keyboard or holding a wrench
- Strongly mission driven, no task too small no job too big, keep the team moving
- Demonstrated ability to operate autonomously as part of a team
- Positivity in the face of adversity
- Customer oriented
- Maintaining a high level of craftsmanship and attention to detail while working in a dynamic environment.
- Extremely resourceful - known as a person who “finds a way to get it done.”
- Experience in the GCP ecosystem.
- Networking exposure - TCP/IP networking (routing & switching, VPNs, managing VPCs, running and interpreting packet captures)
- Use of multiple database technologies - mySQL, Postgres, Timescale, InfluxDB
- Automated build program experience (Ansible Tower, Jenkins, Gitlab CI, etc)
- Examples of technical writing
- Grafana Experience
- Interest in/experience with Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence and/or robotics
- Ability to read and/or write any adjacent, moden, coding language
- Heavy machinery operation experience
- Scissor lifts
- Bachelor’s Degree in any engineering discipline
- 2+ years experience in Process Engineering, Controls and Automation Engineering, DevOps, TechOps, Sustaining Engineering, Reliability Engineering, and/or Field Service Engineering
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds at times.
- Louisville, Colorado
- Up to 80%
AMP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Applicants who identify with a historically underrepresented group are encouraged to apply. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary & Compensation Information: $75,000 - $95,000
Equity Grant: The candidate selected for this role will be recommended for a stock option grant commensurate with the position and the candidate’s qualifications.
- Medical - The company covers up 85% to 100% of the premium for Cigna medical healthcare plans depending on the selection. Employees pay the difference in premium if they select a more expensive plan. Up to 75% for dependents.
- Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance: The company covers the cost of Basic Life / AD&D 1 x Salary, option to purchase additional through New York Life
- Benefits start the day you start
- HSA Eligible Health Plans
- 401(k) retirement plan (non-matching)
- FTO - Flexible Time Off
- 6 Accrued Sick Days
- Eight (8) paid holidays