R&D Engineer Co-op
Found Energy is building clean energy delivery platforms capable of replacing fossil fuels for heavy industries ranging from aluminum production (4% of global CO2 emissions) to fertilizer production (2% of global CO2 emissions) to maritime shipping (3% of global CO2 emissions). Building off technology developed at MIT that enables metallic aluminum to split water, our energy delivery systems safely generate hydrogen and industrial heat on-site at >5x the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen and >3x that of methanol and ammonia. By integrating storage, transport, and generation into a single package, our technology solves some of the biggest pain points in renewable energy transportation and storage.
At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for partners who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more information, visit https://found.energy.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working towards a minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot that represents a substantial step forward in both scale and impact. R&D interns/co-ops will work with Found Energy engineers to help design, fabricate, and test the various subcomponents of our MVP, as well as supporting their integration and system-level validation. Beyond developing the MVP, R&D interns/co-ops will also engage in technology development in line with the company’s strategic technical roadmap. Finally, there are opportunities to work on a humanitarian aid project in partnership with USAID to enable the use of debris from the aftermath of natural disasters to power electricity generation and seawater desalination in. As part of this opportunity, R&D interns/co-ops will also work directly with our design and validation partners in the Dominican Republic.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with R&D engineers on developing and carrying out initial R&D program
- Design and fabricate prototype hydrogen-generation systems (10-100 kW)
- Spec prototype system components (e.g. pumps, sensors, fuel cells)
- Build out sensor monitoring, data collection, and control software
- Generate IP related to the main business verticals of the company
- Interface with partners on humanitarian aid projects
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- Pursuing education in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or related fields
- Track record of strong academic and/or project-based performance
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Mechanical design, CAD, and/or rapid prototyping practices
- Mechanical fabrication (subtractive/additive manufacturing, welding, etc.)
- Electromechanical interfaces (sensors, microcontrollers, relays, etc.)
- Power conditioning and electronics (boost/buck converters, rectifiers, PCB design, etc.)
- Fluid and/or gas handling systems, including safety and compliance
- Fuel cells and battery systems
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix-based operating systems via command line
- Familiarity with one or more software languages (Python, C++, MATLAB, etc.)
- Thermodynamics theory and modeling software (e.g. EES, REFPROP)
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.